Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Earthquake!

I just felt an earthquake for the first time in my life! Exciting!

Upstate New York is not particularly seismically active, and though there have been a few earthquakes during my lifetime that I could, in principle, have felt, I have until now always been asleep or otherwise didn't happen to feel it.

They are saying it is a fairly big one -- magnitude 5.5! -- centered on the Ontario/Quebec border. For perspective, the last time an earthquake of that magnitude occurred in that seismic zone was 1944.

Sadly, I didn't realize I was feeling an earthquake while it was in progress. I thought somebody was doing some work on the ceiling downstairs! I was about to go down and tell them I was worried they were going to collapse the floor if they didn't stop, and then the earthquake stopped. I didn't realize what it was until I got an e-mail from a friend about it. heh...

No comments:

Post a Comment