Sunday, April 21, 2013

Guns are just like pressure cookers

Sorry for all the scrolling. I thought it was important to do it to scale.

I just want to add, I am not at all anti-gun. My sister owns a gun, my dear departed friend Nicole owned multiple guns, I have several other friends who own guns. I have fired guns myself, and I would love to go hunting sometime if I ever get around to it. What gets my goat is the people who deny that there is a tremendous gun violence problem in the United States, or who use absolutely absurd arguments to oppose even the most modest gun law reforms. We have several times as many per capita gun deaths (including suicides, homicides, and accidents) as the next closest first-world country. No matter how you slice it, that's a problem. I don't view this as a moral/ideological issue, I view it as an epidemiological issue. We've got way more gun violence than we ought; how do we craft public policy to reduce that?

Unfortunately, a lot of the anti-gun control arguments (including people smugly joking about "backgrounds checks for pressure cookers!!1!!!1!") completely miss the fucking point. Honestly, pro-gun advocates have done more to shift my opinion in favor of gun control than anti-gun advocates. We need an adult conversation here, and unfortunately a lot of the pro-gun folks are behaving like paranoid idiot children.

6 comments:

  1. More like: background checks for anyone who wants to purchase the ingredients for explosives (yes I realize that may be impractical, given that many common, innocent, chemicals can be combined to make a significant bang).

    Aside: Do we yet know what the Boston bombs were made of?.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you are a mindless liberal watching MSNBC as a "News" source, you are bound to stop thinking for yourself and to adopt their stupid far-left radical way. You say you are not anti-gun, but then go on to call pro gun people idiots and children. This is a typical Liberal view. You do not know why you hate the conservative view, you just know that you hate the conservatives... Basically, this little blurb you posted is about you trying to come to grips with the fact that you need a reason to hate guns so that you can keep your libtard card in tact. You far left idiots are so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's some truth to what you say, but you've conveniently ignored addressing the real heart-breaking issue that USA has significantly more gun deaths per capita than any other nation. We're more successful at murdering ourselves than Al-Qaeda. Do we really need 100 clip guns to hunt deer or target shoot?

      This is why the author compares you with children, you're just ignoring the facts and continue playing with your toys with America as the victim.

      Delete
  3. By the way, if you are an Atheist why is your blog called No Jesus? Why not, no Allah? IS it because MSNBC tells you it is okay to hate Christians, but you have to be tolerant of every other religion? I always wondered, when you guys are participating in this groupthink, mass conformity called Liberalism do you actually think you are being unique? DO you believe that this sets you apart from the unenlightened? Because the millions of you all think exactly the same, yet it seems to me that you all seem to think that you have a singular line to the truth. How pathetic it must be to be you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pun on "No Jesus, No Peace", dingbat. Don't worry, I think all religions are equally infantile and stupid. You'll have no difficulty finding criticism of Islam in my blog.

      Delete
  4. James, we'd like to invite you to become one of our Authors in Alexandria.

    In addition to posting on anything you wish, as you desire, you may of course mirror posts you've already written from here or elsewhere to gain a different or additional audience or for any other reason that appeals to you.

    If you think you might be interested, contact me through Alexandria or by return email via this comment and I'll forward our formal invitations for you to look over and return if you decide to proceed.

    Come contribute your perspectives and opinions to the ongoing conversations there or, even better, start some new - and different - ones of your own.

    I look forward to hearing from you.

    H. M. Stuart
    Alexandria

    ReplyDelete