Thursday, August 27, 2009

ABBA: Atheist music???

RichardDawkins.net links to a decent article by the dude from ABBA talking about how Sweden should keep religion out of its schools, even the independent ones. Aside from a rather depressing question implied by this article's very existence (if freaking Sweden has to worry about religious indoctrination in schools, what hope do we have in America?) I have to say that the first paragraph kinda cracked me up:

Without thinking too much about it at the time, when I wrote the lyrics for Abba's songs the message I wished to convey tallies well with campaigns launched recently by humanist organisations in the UK, US and Australia:

"There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

Whozawhatnow?!

Heh, okay, after I thought about it, I see what his point is: He was focusing on the "stop worrying and enjoy your life" part of the phrase, and sees ABBA's simple dance- and party-oriented lyrics as an extension of this. I guess I see his point. Still, it sorta tickles my funny bone to think of "Dancing Queen" as some kind of humanist anthem. heh...

1 comment:

  1. >> Still, it sorta tickles my funny bone to think of "Dancing Queen" as some kind of humanist anthem. heh...

    Yet another reason why Dr. House (currently TV's most famous atheist) uses it as his ringtone for his best friend Dr. Wilson. :)

    ReplyDelete