Wednesday, September 2, 2009

X-Men take over the world

"We are all mutants!" blares the headline, and I suppose it's true: According to a paper published in Current Biology, we each have about 100 to 200 mutations in our gene sequences. I guess that's not too surprising, considering we are talking about using biological (i.e. messy) transcription methods to copy billions of individual data points. Getting a several dozen of them wrong is to be expected.

I post this for two reasons: First of all, I'm sure PZ will be posting something about this, and I wanted to beat him to it. heh... also, this has some relevance to a blog post I am currently composing that explores a new metaphor that helps a simple computer engineer like me understand how such complexity could arise out of a relatively small genome.

No comments:

Post a Comment